The group was founded in 1927 by George W Soper – meeting & operating from his home in Bower Way – before moving into more appropriate premises in the Baptist Mission Hall in the centre of Cippenham – some 6 years later.
1st Cippenham is Born
In 1934 the Group reregistered at Scout HQ, and acquired a piece of land towards the top of Bower Way along Pioneer Path on which they built their first Scout Hut at a cost of c£100. This Hut was a timber & corrugated structure held together for some 60 years by nails, replacement timbers & gallons of bitumen & creosote – plus the persistent hard work of the boys, their Leaders, Parents & Friends. The Hut remained in constant use throughout the war until it was demolished in 1997 (?) to make way for its current purpose built replacement which was opened by the Founder’s son John ‘Skip’ Soper.
The War Years
During the war years it was “business as usual” under the watchful eyes of Senior Boys and a handful of Leaders not as yet ‘called up’.
- Blackout curtains were improvised out of old groundsheets
- The Hut was used for making camouflage netting and
- Scout Wide Games continued on Dorney Common even during air raids
Since its formation in 1927 1st Cippenham Scout Group has established a fine heritage and outstanding reputation for the training and character development of thousands of young people founded upon good scouting principles.